Saturday, May 2, 2015

State Bar Campaign -- A post-hoc evaluation

This year I ran for a spot on the State Bar of Texas' board of directors (the SBOT board is elected by lawyers, geographically). I didn't win.

I have mixed feeling about it. On one hand, it's a little disappointing because there are a lot of things the State Bar can and should be doing. It is an institution tasked with protecting the integrity of the legal system. It can and should be combating wrongful conviction, the school to prison pipeline, and many other issues. (I posted a few of my "campaign" emails below). I would have liked to prod it in that direction.

On the other hand, it's not a ton of fun being a minority voice on a board, trying to spur it in a direction it doesn't want to go (though maybe I should be accustomed to it as a civil rights lawyer). It can be frustrating and exhausting. So I it's kind of a mixed blessing that I was spared the chore.

But I do like a challenge. Maybe next year I'll run for State Bar President, instead. :)